Sunday, March 2, 2014

Day 25

Day 25

Best. Day. Ever.

Jackson had a great night last. They lowered his rate to 10 breaths per minute and he stayed at room air all night and was totally rocking it. He was doing so well this morning they decided to turn off his ventilator for an hour to see how he did. And again he did awesome. So they decided to extubate him this morning. He did so great all morning. Our favorite nurse was on today, she was also here Tuesday when he had gone back on the ventilator before we got to hold him and she knew how devastated we were. So right away she said to me, "you are holding him today". My heart swelled ten sizes. 

 It took about 30 minutes to get all his tubes and wires in order for me to hold him but those 15 minutes of feeling my sweet baby lay on my chest were the most amazing moments of my life. I had tears in my eyes for a minute but after that I was too beyond happy for tears. It just felt so right. I could have stayed like that forever. Feeling his soft, warm skin. His tiny hands reaching, grabbing. His wonderful smell. That is my happy place. 

After basking in my mommy moment, it was Dad's turn. I'm so glad the nurse made sure Hunter had a turn too. Sometimes I feel everyone asks or worries about me, but Dad is just as important. I'm glad our nurses make both of us a priority and takes care of both of us. 








After that his blood gas tests started showing his CO2 level was getting very high. And unfortunately they had to intubate him again. The nurse told me not to cry and get disappointed because today was a great day. I told her I couldn't make any promises. So while I did cry and was disappointed, I'm not devastated like last time. Because today was a good day. We got to hold our sweet baby boy. And he did wonderfully off the vent. He didn't have a single apnea attack and his oxygen saturation levels were great all day. He is just still getting over the pneumonia and his lungs were just too junky to blow off the CO2. But we know he's going to do great when he comes off the vent again in a few days. FOJSP!

No comments:

Post a Comment