Friday, May 2, 2014

Week 12

Week 12


This is a week I did not think we would see in the NICU. Jackson isn't due until Tuesday but this whole time I just had myself convinced he would be home before then. This has been a week focused solely on eating. As I looked back through my photos of Jackson this week, all I have are pictures of him sleeping! If he was awake for even a second, we were trying the bottle. I would not be talented enough to get a picture while feeding a full term baby but there is no chance with Jackson. Feeding him is work! You have to hold him up right, but not too far. Just the right angle to keep his airway open but not let him reflux. Keeping one finger under his chin to help keep it closed. While another finger on his cheek for gentle reminders to keep sucking. Bottle up and down constantly as he takes little breaks to catch his breath. But don't let it come out of his mouth, because it is a 5 minute battle to get it back in. And burping is a whole other 10 minute battle of Jackson squirming, crying, and fervently shaking his head no as he fights the burp. By the time we're done, we're both exhausted. Tuck him back in and start all over again 1.5-2 hours later. So no wonder all my pictures are of him sleeping. This mom promises to make this week more fun for Jackson, herself, and all of you wonderful people still following our little guys progess! 






Day 85

Jackson day 85: 2244 grams or 4 lbs 15 oz. 12 weeks old. I guess he didn't feel like hitting 5 pounds today. Dr. Simmons doesn't think he's been gaining fast enough. He is limiting him to only 30 minutes on the bottle and that he has to be fed 40 cc through his feeding tube after breastfeeding. Hopefully this helps him get bigger and stronger faster so he has the strength to eat. FOJSP

He's still all boy...I caught him trying to pick his nose!

No comments:

Post a Comment